Supernus Announces First Quarter 2021 Financial Results
- First quarter 2021 total revenues of
$130.9 million, a 38% increase compared to 2020
- Qelbree™ approved by FDA for pediatric ADHD and on track for a
U.S.launch in Q2 2021
- Qelbree sNDA submission for adult ADHD anticipated in the third quarter of 2021
- SPN-830 (apomorphine infusion pump) NDA resubmission anticipated in the second half of 2021
- SPN-820 (mTORC1) has advanced towards a Phase II clinical program in treatment-resistant depression following successful completion of MAD study
“The approval of Qelbree provides pediatric patients living with ADHD a therapy with proven efficacy and a tolerable safety profile, and that is not a controlled substance,” said
Net Product Sales
First quarter 2021 net product sales were
|Net Product Sales|
|($ in millions)||Q1 2021||Q1 2020||Change %|
|Net Product Sales||$||128.4||$||92.5||39||%|
Qelbree Launch Update
April 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration(FDA) approved Qelbree for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in pediatric patients 6 to 17 years of age. The Company plans to make Qelbree available in the U.S.during the second quarter of 2021.
- Supernus will conduct post-marketing commitment studies, including a new study of Qelbree in preschool aged children with ADHD, 4 to 5 years of age. The completion of these studies responds to a written request from the FDA and should therefore result in the FDA granting an additional 6 months of market exclusivity.
Product Pipeline Update
Qelbree (viloxazine, extended-release capsules) - Novel non-stimulant for the treatment of ADHD in adults
December 2020, the Company announced positive results from a Phase III trial in adult patients with ADHD and plans to submit a supplemental New Drug Application (sNDA) to the FDA for Qelbree in adults in the third quarter of 2021.
SPN-830 (apomorphine infusion pump) - Continuous treatment of motor fluctuations (“on-off” episodes) in PD
- The company recently met with the FDA to discuss the path forward for resubmission of the SPN-830 NDA. The FDA provided additional clarity related to the contents of the
November 2020Refusal to File (RTF) letter and the requirements for resubmission. The Company now plans to resubmit the SPN-830 NDA in the second half of 2021.
SPN-820 - Novel first-in-class activator of mTORC1
- SPN-820 has advanced to a Phase II clinical program in treatment-resistant depression following the successful completion of a multiple-ascending dose (MAD) study in healthy volunteers. In the MAD study, SPN-820 exhibited a favorable safety and tolerability profile across a broad range of potentially therapeutic doses.
- The Company expects to initiate a randomized Phase II clinical study in treatment-resistant depression by the end of 2021.
First quarter 2021 operating earnings were
First quarter 2021 net earnings and diluted earnings per share were
Full Year 2021 Financial Guidance
For full year 2021, the Company reiterates its prior financial guidance and added full year 2021 effective tax rate guidance as set forth below:
|Full Year 2021 Guidance
($ in millions)
|Combined R&D and SG&A expenses2|
|Amortization of intangible assets|
|Effective Tax Rate4||28% - 31%|
1) Total revenues includes net product sales and royalty revenue. Includes $10 million for Qelbree™ net product sales.
2) Combined research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses.
3) Operating earnings include amortization of intangible assets and contingent consideration expense.
4) The full year 2021 effective tax rate guidance of 28% - 31% is above the normally expected range of 26% - 28% due to the effect of discrete tax items in the period.
Conference Call Details
The Company will hold a conference call hosted by
Please refer to the information below for conference call dial-in information and webcast registration. Callers should dial in approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call.
|Conference dial-in:||(877) 288-1043|
|International dial-in:||(970) 315-0267|
|Conference Call Name:||Supernus Pharmaceuticals First Quarter 2021 Results Conference Call|
Following the live call, a replay will be available on the Company's website, www.supernus.com, under “Investor Relations”.
Our diverse neuroscience portfolio includes approved treatments for epilepsy, migraine, ADHD, hypomobility in Parkinson’s disease, cervical dystonia and chronic sialorrhea. We are developing a broad range of novel CNS product candidates including new potential treatments for hypomobility in Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, depression, and rare CNS disorders.
For more information, please visit www.supernus.com
This press release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements do not convey historical information but relate to predicted or potential future events that are based upon management's current expectations. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. In addition to the factors mentioned in this press release, such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, the Company’s ability to sustain and increase its profitability; the Company’s ability to raise sufficient capital to fully implement its corporate strategy; the implementation of the Company’s corporate strategy; the Company’s future financial performance and projected revenue and expenditures; the Company’s ability to increase the number of prescriptions written for each of its products; the Company’s ability to increase its revenues; the Company’s ability to commercialize its products including Qelbree; the Company’s ability to enter into future collaborations with pharmaceutical companies and academic institutions or to obtain funding from government agencies; the Company’s product research and development activities, including the timing and progress of the Company’s clinical trials; the Company’s ability to receive, and the timing of any receipt of, regulatory approvals to develop and commercialize the Company’s product candidates including SPN-830 and SPN-812 for adult ADHD patients; the Company’s ability to protect its intellectual property and operate its business without infringing upon the intellectual property rights of others; the Company’s expectations regarding federal, state and foreign regulatory requirements; the therapeutic benefits, effectiveness and safety of the Company’s product candidates; the accuracy of the Company’s estimates of the size and characteristics of the markets that may be addressed by its product candidates; the Company’s ability to increase its manufacturing capabilities for its products and product candidates; the Company’s projected markets and growth in markets; the Company’s product formulations and patient needs and potential funding sources; the Company’s staffing needs; and other risk factors set forth from time to time in the Company’s filings with the
Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets
(in thousands, except share data)
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||255,642||$||288,640|
|Accounts receivable, net||127,065||140,877|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||17,631||18,682|
|Total current assets||586,023||630,417|
|Long term marketable securities||416,566||350,359|
|Property and equipment, net||37,950||37,824|
|Intangible assets, net||358,736||364,342|
|Liabilities and stockholders’ equity|
|Accounts payable and accrued liabilities||$||70,099||$||78,934|
|Accrued product returns and rebates||128,736||126,192|
|Contingent consideration, current portion||31,520||30,900|
|Other current liabilities||10,457||9,082|
|Total current liabilities||240,812||245,108|
|Convertible notes, net||366,038||361,751|
|Contingent consideration, long term||46,200||45,800|
|Operating lease liabilities, long term||28,532||28,579|
|Deferred income tax liabilities||31,742||35,215|
|Additional paid-in capital||415,950||409,332|
|Accumulated other comprehensive earnings, net of tax||6,249||8,975|
|Total stockholders’ equity||754,444||744,858|
|Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity||$||1,507,443||$||1,504,102|
Condensed Consolidated Statements of Earnings
(in thousands, except share and per share data)
|Three Months ended
|Net product sales||$||128,381||$||92,490|
|Costs and expenses|
|Cost of goods sold (a)||14,954||4,152|
|Research and development||34,280||18,937|
|Selling, general and administrative||61,457||41,614|
|Amortization of intangible assets||6,007||1,261|
|Contingent consideration expense||1,020||—|
|Total costs and expenses||117,718||65,964|
|Other income (expense)|
|Interest and other income, net||3,812||5,777|
|Total other income (expense)||(2,285||)||22|
|Earnings before income taxes||10,929||29,034|
|Income tax expense||5,235||7,516|
|Earnings per share|
|Weighted-average shares outstanding|
(a) Excludes amortization of acquired intangible assets
Tel: (301) 838-2591
Office: (443) 213-0505
Mobile: (443) 377-4767
Source: Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.