Supernus is focused on developing and commercializing products for the treatment of central nervous system, or CNS, diseases. The company's lead products, Oxtellar XR® and Trokendi XR® are for the treatment of epilepsy. Supernus is also developing product candidates to address large market opportunities in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, including ADHD with impulsive aggression.
Supernus has two products for the treatment of epilepsy. Supernus plans to launch Oxtellar XR® in the first quarter of 2013 and Trokendi XR® after it receives final approval by the FDA, in the third quarter of 2013.
Oxtellar XR® is a novel, oral, once-daily, extended-release formulation of oxcarbazepine. We received FDA approval in October 2012.
- Oxtellar XR® delivers oxcarbazepine, another effective antiepileptic drug, which is marketed by Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation under the brand name Trileptal®
- Oxcarbazepine is an active voltage-dependent sodium channel blocker that, despite its effectiveness in treating epilepsy, is associated with many side effects that tend to limit its use, such as dizziness, double vision, somnolence, nausea, and vomiting
Trokendi XR®, is a novel, oral, extended-release, once-daily formulation of topiramate for the treatment of epilepsy. We received tentative approval from the FDA in June 2012. Trokendi XR® delivers topiramate, one of the most effective antiepilepsy drugs, which is marketed by Johnson & Johnson under the brand name Topamax®.
- Topiramate as an anti-epileptic drug is currently available only in immediate-release form and is indicated for monotherapy and adjunctive therapy of epilepsy, as well as for the treatment of migraine
- Side effects associated with topiramate, which have tended to limit its use, include dizziness, fatigue, somnolence, and slowing of certain cognitive functions
Oxtellar XR® and Trokendi XR® are designed to:
- Improve patient compliance compared to the current immediate-release products that are taken multiple times per day
- Deliver lower peak plasma concentrations and lower input rate over an extended time period, resulting in smoother and more consistent blood levels of oxcarbazepine or topiramate during the day compared to immediate-release products
- Avoid blood level fluctuations that can be associated with many of the side effects or breakthrough seizures that patients can suffer from when taking immediate-release products
Please visit the Product Pipeline section of our website.
- Build in-house sales and marketing capabilities, focused on specialty markets in the United States, to launch Oxtellar XR® and Trokendi XR®.
- Continue to advance our product candidates in our psychiatry portfolio, including SPN-810 and SPN-812. As part of our longer-term strategy, we intend to continue to develop our product candidates in our psychiatry portfolio to enable further diversification of our pipeline and future growth.
- Develop differentiated products by applying our technologies to known drug compounds.
- Establish strategic partnerships to accelerate and maximize the potential of our product candidates worldwide.
- Leverage our management team's expertise to develop and commercialize our broad portfolio of product candidates.
Supernus was founded in 2005 following the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Shire Laboratories Inc. in late 2005. The company previously had been a U.S. subsidiary of Shire plc. Supernus and its management team have more than 20 years of experience in developing and commercializing CNS products.
Supernus is traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol "SUPN."
Please visit the Printed Materials section of the website for a downloadable kit.
Please visit the Events and Presentations section of this website for the date of the next financial results release.
Supernus has never declared a cash dividend on its common stock and has no plans to initiate a dividend program.
Supernus does not have a direct stock purchase program.
Please contact the company's transfer agent:
Shareholder correspondence should be mailed to:
P.O. BOX 30170
College Station, TX 77842-3170
Overnight correspondence should be sent to:
211 Quality Circle, Suite 210
College Station, TX 77845
Ernst & Young LLP is the company's independent accounting firm.
Ropes & Gray LLP is the company's outside legal counsel.
Supernus CUSIP number is 868459 10 8.
Please contact Greg Patrick 301.838.2522 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your question using the form below.